The Botanical Gardens has partially re-opened. Through the month of November, the public can visit the front yard and rock garden from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Tuesdays to Fridays.
Admission is free.
- Location: Kawauchi Campus (Map)
- Address: 12-2 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-0862 Japan
- Contact Info:
The Tohoku University Botanical Garden, on Aoba mountain, was founded for research and education in 1958. Covering approximately 490,000 square metres, Aobayama is a pristine primeval forest. Due to its preservation for 400 years it is now home to flora and fauna of priceless academic value. In 1972, the garden was appointed as a natural monument, a first for a national university botanical garden. One of only three national university botanical gardens in Japan, the site of the botanical gardens is surrounded by beautiful fir forests native to the region's hilly terrain.
- By Subway:
- Take the subway from Sendai Station to Kokusai Center Station (4 mins). Walk 10 mins from there.
- By taxi:
- 10 min from Sendai Station, 45 min from Sendai Airport
- By foot:
- 25 min walk from Hirose-dori Station, 40 min walk from Sendai Station