The Tohoku University Japanese Program (TUJP) - usually a popular exchange fortnight held every summer - is going online for the first time due to the COVID-19 pandemic this year.
The program has been lightly adjusted to provide participants with a dynamic Japanese language course, interactive cultural activities and a chance to learn alongside local Tohoku University students online. It is also a great opportunity to make new friends from Japan and around the world, at a time when travel is limited.
Interested participants can choose from one of the following programs:
TUJP Online 1:
Duration: 2 weeks
Dates: December 1 - 14, 2020
Application deadline: October 31, 2020
Japanese language and culture classes
- - These classes offer basic Japanese language for communication, focusing on themes found in daily student life.
- - Lessons on Japanese culture are integrated into the curriculum
Project-based Learning (PBL) workshops with Japanese students
- - These workshops incorporate problem-solving exercises and encourage students with diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds to work on collaborative projects.
TUJP Online 2:
Duration: 3 weeks
Dates: January 13 - February 2, 2021
Application deadline: November 30, 2020
Advanced Japanese language and culture classes
- - These lessons are aimed at providing the proficiency needed to pass the JLPT N2 or N1 exams.
- - Lessons on Japanese culture are integrated into the curriculum.
Specialised humanities classes taught in Japanese
- - Tohoku University humanities classes, conducted in easy Japanese, will help students develop the language proficiency and basic knowledge needed to pursue study and research at a Japanese university.
To be eligible, applicants should:
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at one of Tohoku University's partner universities
- have strong English language proficiency (a level equivalent to TOEFL® iBT 70 or PBT 520 is recommended for non native English speakers)
- have some Japanese language proficiency ( TUJP Online-1: Beginners / TUJP Online-2: Pre-intermediate or Intermediate)
For more details on the programs and how to apply, please check here: https://www.insc.tohoku.ac.jp/english/short/tujp/
Student Exchange Division